Saturday, May 3, 2008

I Am Iron Man.


I got home at 0100, which is what happens when you go to the double-feature at the drive-in.
It is a Marvel movie and I was not disappointed. This is the first time that's happened since Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine. (Sorry Scott, but I think Marvel has weak stories and popcorn characters, making it impossible to make them look any better in a movie...) Not that DC has made any of their characters translate to the big screen either:(

Iron Man fights Bullies, terrorists, Arabs and Jeff Bridges; how can I not admire him?

I rained like a cow, pissing on a flat rock. I never conceived of sitting outside in 40 degree rain and high wind to watch a movie; still, I kept thinking that this is something I might well have done if I were already in the field and happened to roadmarch past a drive-in where I could change my socks, rest my feet and lay back on my ruck while drinking coffee. I am compelled to applaud the grit of Andy and Ed as they built their shelter in the cold and rainy night, then proceed to cook hotdogs and sit outside next to my warm truck while Ohana and I reclined peacefully and listened to the movie on the truck radio. The hotdog, as interpreted by Paul, with 'The Works' was incomparable; there was something spicy on it and I got to sit in a warm truck and share it with my dog.

The second movie was 'Drillbit Taylor' with Owen Wilson, a ne'er do well, homeless, army deserter who probably would jump the fence to sit outside and watch a movie in the rain because he had no other option. Taylor is on a quest to beg or steal enough money to fly to the Canadian wilderness and be a Canadian ne'er do well, homeless, army deserter who probably would jump the fence to sit outside and watch a movie in the rain. He takes on 3 high school freshmen who are bullied by a spoiled, emancipated senior who reminds me of a cross between that kid who hung around with Ferris, and Ed Norton. It all turns out, of course.

Ed and Andy knew all of the writers, directors and actors; actually, I think they know about all there is about movies,if not expedient shelter construction.

2 comments:

swirlingeddy said...

Huge fun! I think we ended up pretty well with the shelter construction, considering we hadn't planned on it in advance. But Andy gets all the credit for that. Basically all I did was stand around and scratch my head. It was really cold and miserable - an interesting challenge for watching a movie! There's something invigorating about the defiance of nature and of your own desire for warmth and comfort.

kristi noser said...

Color me jealous-green. I can't remember the last time I went to the Drive-in. Unfortunately it would take chemical stimulants for this tired old mom to be able to make it to the end of the features these days.
Then again, there must be some around here somewhere....